Thursday, March 19, 2015
Elry Cash / Columbia 15399-D
My Old New Hampshire Home / Won`t You Come Back To Me
recorded April 18, 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia
Sorry, I have no information on Elry Cash. My Old New Hampshire Home is an old "left my love in my hometown" type love song. Won`t You Come Back To Me is familiar to me as a Riley Puckett song similar to this under a different title that I can`t bring to mind at the moment.
Elry Cash / Columbia 15457-D
Then My Love Began To Wane / When You`re In The Graveyard And I`m Away Downtown In Jail
recorded same as above
Both tunes on this disc are sort of a comedy love songs.
Click here to download Elry Cash - complete Columbia recordings
Here`s a pretty neat LP. These guys are sort of in the style of the 1930`s brothers acts, but are also entertainers with comedy and broom playing. I`m not going to try to tell you about playing the broom, just download the music and check out the LP pictures. Happy downloading!
Click here to download The Leverett Bros. - Lonesome Mandolin
Here`s the next Bill Ring Show. Enjoy!
Track list show #21---
1. 12th Street Rag - Bill Ring
2. Fireball Mail - Doc Martin
3. Sparkling Blue Eyes - Slim Wilson and The Tall Timber Trio
4. Crybaby Heart - Bill Ring
5. Hubcap Roll - Speedy Haworth
6. Peace In The Valley - Bill Ring
Track list show #22---
1. Texas - Bill Ring
2. Speedin` West - Speedy Haworth
3. Guess I`ll Be Leaving - Sally Briggs
4. It`s A Sin - Bill Ring
5. Monotonous - Doc Martin
6. That Pioneer Mother Of Mine - Bill Ring
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #21&22
Sunday, March 8, 2015
The Bailes Brothers were a brother group that were most well known in the early and mid 1940`s. I believe there were as many as five brothers and they played music with different combinations of brothers and also as more than one group of Bailes Brothers (sounds confusing!). They sang in a style that could be said to sound Roy Acuff-ish and sang many Acuff songs. They have sort of an intense sound with their harmonies and use it to good effect, especially on "moral message" songs. They didn`t have the polished sound of the popular brother groups of the 1930`s. They recorded off and on on up into the 1980`s as solo acts and different brother combinations. Give it a listen and enjoy!
Click here to download The Bailes Brothers - Early Radio Favorites
Vernon Dalhart / Puritan 11347
Hard Hearted Hannah or How Do You Do? / Go Long Mule
recorded August 1924 in New York City, New York
Here`s an oddity. I`ve been transferring some of my Vernon Dalhart 78`s and found I had two copies of this, but the A side of each disc had a different artist and song. Both A side artists are out of my "field of study" and I have no information on either as they are both pop type performances. I wonder why they would have issued this disc with different releases on the A side. Dalhart`s Go Long Mule is nearly the same song as Uncle Dave Macon`s Go Along Mule that was recorded in 1927. Happy downloading!
Click here to download Vernon Dalhart on Puritan 11347
I keep getting great comments on the Bill Ring Shows! Thanks to everybody.
Track list show 19---
1. Bummin` Around - Bill Ring
2. Draggin` The Steel - Doc Martin
3. Stick Him Until He Is Tame - Slim Wilson and The Tall Timber Trio
4. I Wonder If Anyone Remembers Me In My Hometown - Bill Ring
5. Why Don`t You Haul Off And Love Me - Speedy Haworth
6. One Kiss Too Many - Bill Ring
Track list show 20---
1. Don`t Talk Too Much - Bill Ring
2. Don`t Bother To Cry - Doc Martin
3. When It`s Lamp Lighting Time In The Valley - Bill Ring
4. Stingy - Sally Briggs
5. Liberty Bell Polka - Speedy Haworth
6. Little Angel With The Dirty Face - Bill Ring
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #19&20
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Well, we had more snow, so I`m posting more Hawaiian music to warm us up!
Click here to download Harry Owens - Hawaii - Capitol 78 album
Here`s the next Bill Ring Show. Happy listening!
Track list #17---
1. It`s A Good Day - Bill Ring
2. steel solo - Doc Martin
3. Rose Of Oklahoma - Slim Wilson & The Tall Timber Trio
4. My Adobe Hacienda - Bill Ring
5. Anytime - Speedy Haworth
6. Beyond The Sunset - Bill Ring
Track list #18---
1. Missouri - Bill Ring
2. guitar solo - Speedy Haworth
3. South - Sally Briggs
4. Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - Bill Ring
5. Cherry - Doc Martin
6. Sitting Alone In An Old Rocking Chair - Bill Ring
Click here to download The Bill Ring Show - #17&18
Melton and Waggoner / Columbia 15423-D
In The Hills Of Old Kentucky / Underneath The Cotton Moon
recorded October 30, 1928 in Atlanta, Georgia
Here is another entry of my collection where I have gathered all the output of an artist/group. This is the only disc recorded by this duet. I have no information about this duet, not even their first names. Their style leans towards the Jimmie Rodgers sound. In The Hills Of Old Kentucky was likely an old pop song I`d say. It`s still performed by bluegrass pickers. Underneath The Cotton Moon was also a pop tune that almost sounds like it could have been part of a vaudeville type musical. I believe Clayton McMichen also recorded this tune. My copy of this disc is in pretty decent condition, so the sound on this is pretty good. Happy downloading!
Click here to download Melton and Waggoner - Columbia 15423-D
I realized a couple weeks ago when I made the last Grandpa Jones post that I had another of these great 2 disc albums. Enjoy!
Click here to download Grandpa Jones - Family Gathering